Thursday, March 29, 2012

Open Design is going solo


Solo Adventures are back in fashion, thanks to Kobold Quarterly (more specifically KQ #18 and #19). Now you can get these little packages of entertainment directly as PDFs, by $ 2.99 each, with the Party of 1 line.

While I was already a gamer by the time I read my first solo adventure (the lethal but amazingly fun Temple of Terror, from famous Fighting Fantasy), it was a nonetheless a unique (and addictive) experience - and I can swear to you that I NEVER fudged my rolls (which may explain why I also never managed to finish the Temple of Terror).


 Of the first two solo adventures released by Open Design, Party of 1: Kalgor Bloodhammer and the Ghouls through the Breach was my favorite. It starts unpretentiously linear but before you notice it, you’re suddenly faced with very complex and interconnected choices (besides being a good plot for a dwarven adventure). Partyof 1: Elgar Fletch and the Dark Army didn’t have the same effect on me. While the “countdown” effect was cool, I found it too linear – which makes it a perfect introduction for those that never played a solo adventure. However, I found it in certain aspects more lethal than Kalgor Bloodhammer. Oh, and both solo adventures uses Pathfinder rules, including a full character sheet for each protaginst.


No comments:

Post a Comment